​Preferred Name

Spalding University allows students, faculty and staff to submit a preferred first name that will appear in place of the legal name in different university systems and records. You may complete the setup form to enter a preferred name and pronouns using the edit profile link under Student Self Service. After completing the form Spalding University will use the preferred first name where it is possible, but official records and some systems will continue to use the legal first name. If you would like to change your legal name you can learn more about that process from the Legal Aid Network of Kentucky. To change your legal name at Spalding you may present an updated state issued ID to the Registrar's Offiice (or Human Resources for Spalding Employees).


What is a preferred name?

A preferred name is a name that you choose to be used in place of your legal name. At Spalding we have setup these systems and records to display the preferred first name in place of the legal first name:

Campus Directory

Campus Email

Class Rosters


Spalding University, faculty and staff will make every effort to use the preferred first name, while recognizing that your legal name may continue be used in certain areas. Your legal name would continue to be used in these areas:



Student ID

Financial aid documents

Other legal documents


Setting a preferred name:

To request a preferred first name change, complete the edit profile link under Student Self Service. There are limits to what you may select as a preferred name. Letters, hyphens and apostrophes can be used but numbers and other symbols cannot. Name changes are subject to approval by the Registrar's Office or Human Resources. Examples of first names that will not be approved are:

Names containing inappropriate or offensive language

Names used for the purpose of misrepresentation